Thursday, March 15, 2012

Bring on the CIC*

     I am finally back in the good o'l state of Texas. With the exception of driving through LOTS of rain after over-nighting in Baton Rouge, the 20 hour trip back home really wasn't too bad...with the help of many cups of coffee.


A very happy horse his first afternoon back in Texas.

     I guess I could start by saying how Rocking III went my last week in Florida. Stoney was quite brilliant. Besides hitting one rail in show jumping, he was fantastic. Even after our rail (the 2nd fence), he jumped a foot over everything. He stayed very calm, relaxed, and collected in his dressage test, pulling out a smooth 39.1. I honestly thought the test deserved a lower score, but I was still happy with it because both Mike and I knew it was the best test I'd performed so far. What's there to say about cross country, really? Stoney was a superstar like always. He jumped into the water so boldy and confidently, and a little inside of our fixed line to the skinny out of the water, that I pushed him for a nicer, going stride to it. He decided at the last moment he wasn't THAT confident and added a step where there wasn't one, scrambling over the skinny. With the exception of my dumb and overly ambitious decision there where we weren't quite on the same page, we tackled everything smoothly. It's honestly gotten to the point where the thought of cross country and being in the warm up isn't even too nerve racking anymore. It's the one phase where Stoney and I become perfectly in sync. With a double clear cross country and just the four penalties from our rail, we ended up in 8th place.
     Back to Texas. Stoney is currently at Gold Chip, and I have five more days here before leaving for my first one star at Poplar in GA. 5 DAYS. What's even more nerve racking than that is that I only have three more lessons before we head on down. NOT. ENOUGH. TIME.
     Stoney and I have gotten comfortable with the height of the stadium fences, so I don't think even the slight difference in height will be too big an issue. Also, we are both so confident with all our cross country runs that I think we are ready to tackle the questions on the one star course. I will be honest in saying I was a little freaked out about my dressage test, seeing as I've never done a test in the bigger ring and with the added letters, but once Mike set the 20x60 meter ring up for me, I realized how it's actually a lot more enjoyable with all the space it allows. I don't feel I'm turning every five seconds when riding in it. Since I've also gotten a chance to ride the parts of my test, I've gotten more comfortable with it. Even though it's long, it is actually easier than the tests I was doing in Florida (with the exception of the rein back). Stoney did not know how to rein back until two days ago, so that's still a working progress. However, he's picked up on it quickly so I don't think it'll be too much of an issue. We'll see...
     As for today, Stoney jumped quite well (for Stoney) in our jump school. Things are coming together, which in turn is making my anxiety level lessen. Still, in the next day or so, I will already begin the packing of my bags, the polishing of all my tack, and the whitening of Stoney's tail. We may come to our first CIC* a bit nervous, but we will definitely come with our best presentation and ready to represent!
     

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time in Florida!!! Good luck at Poplar!!!!!

    ReplyDelete