Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Taking a Second Blow

     Sooner or later I would really love to be able to post a non-disappointing post on my blog, but life isn't handing me much else to say at this time. Earlier this week, I was hit with yet another disappointing and heart wrenching blow when Stoney came up lame after galloping at the track early Sunday morning. After having my vet, Dr. Anderson, come out to take a look at him, we found my horse to have suffered from another minor injury yet again. I guess life figured it hadn't thrown enough at me in the past month. 
     So, Stoney is currently on stall rest (which he made very clear today that he is not approving of). I am hand walking and icing him more times in a day than I can keep track of, and this will continue for a little bit longer until the initial pain has passed. He will not be in work for the next few months, and I have also made the decision to not go to Kentucky with everyone on Sunday to NAJYRC and will instead stay back at Gold Chip, working and taking care of Stoney.
     So what's the plan now you ask? Well, after talking with Mike and Heather, I've come to the decision that I will be selling Stoney after he has healed and will start looking for a new and young horse to purchase that has potential to run at the two star level. However, it will take a while before Stoney can go back into work, and he then has to become fit again and worked regularly so that he is able to be sold. THEN I have months of waiting for someone to purchase him and THEN even a few more months of horse shopping before I will probably find myself a horse and I can regularly ride/train again. With all of this, we are looking at at least another year passing before I have another horse. Unfortunately, we do not have the financial means to buy a nice horse until we sell Stoney.
     So, do I think I'm crazy for still even remotely wanting to keep doing this after all the hardships? Yes. You may think I'm a little strange to continue in this and move on, but it's all I can do. I can only accept that life is incredibly hard. It is far from fair and always will be. However, if I chose to be mad at the world every hour of every day, it would only result in misery, so accepting things for how they are is my only option...unless I go with Mike's idea of winning the lottery and buying myself a two star horse. In the mean time of keeping my fingers crossed for that one, I will continue working and taking care of Stoney. I'll be sure to give updates on his progress soon.


 A picture of the grey monster enjoying his time off.

No comments:

Post a Comment